Ever heard of it?
I hadn’t until yesterday (brought to my attention by @greenbacker via Twitter), it seemingly is a concept that has been around for sometime, first presented by FDR during his 1944 State of the Union address.
A second bill of rights would theoretically consist of the following:
- The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation
- The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living
- The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad
- The right of every family to a decent home
- The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health
- The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment
- The right to a good education
For all the effort Barack Obama has been putting into making himself appear as though he were a modern Abraham Lincoln, the fact is that he [Obama] is far closer in ideology to FDR.
Barack Obama is a big government guy who made it clear during the election that he believes in the communist/socialist idea of redistributing wealth (recall that Obama said in an interview he believed the Supreme Court should involve itself in wealth redistribution and economic justice).
We have reason to worry, based upon the words of Obama and based upon the persons he has placed about him, that a ‘second bill of rights’ is not something the messiah would reject out of hand.
In fact Cass Sunstein, one time Constitutional advisor to Barack Obama as well as his current pick for regulatory czar, has advocated FDR’s concept of a second bill of rights.
A new set of rights guaranteed and no responsibility required, that is, entitlement.
Entitlement, guaranteed benefits provided by the government which require nothing of the recipient. We are already an entitlement society, we maybe moving further into that concept.
We currently teeter on the edge of becoming a fully dependent society, Obama and his administration may well push us over the edge. At the end of four years we could find ourselves more European than Europe.